An Italian architect made the project of the school and the very first builders were also Italian. The local people helped as volunteers. The school was built in 4 years and it was ready in 1930; the walls are 70 cm thick – the outside is local stone, while the inside is made of brick. Around ten Bulgarian woodcutters were also involved. Two towers, a big and a small one, are also part of the school; time is measured by the big one, where a clock mechanism was built in – the bell struck in every half an hour.
In 1930 the school “Assen Zlatarov” was open. On the first floor were located the classrooms of the students from the 1st to the 4th grade, the theatre and the library. On the second floor were located the classrooms of the students from the 5th to the 7th grade; the classrooms facing south are equipped as Physics, Chemistry and Biology cabinets – classes were approximately 30 to 35 students, where the children came not only from the village of “Osoitsa”, but also from the neighboring village of “Sarantsi.”
In 1955-1957 the school was declared by the Bulgarian Ministry of Education to be the best school in the country as far as school process, material base and discipline go. Never to be forgotten are the exceptional teachers Ivan Solarski, Gesho Terziiski (math), Ilia Stoitsev (biology), the painter Bozhanchev (fine arts and music) whose hobby was fixing watches, the school principle Nicola Illiev, the school principle Georgi Haralampiev who in 1975 built the school fence and the water fountain in the yard of the school.
Next to the school building, there was another building that was used as a kitchen and cafeteria, and also as a kindergarten. The school stayed open until 1989, when it was finally closed because of lack of students.